Monday, February 8, 2010

I Mean Seriously...

*WARNING...RANT POST AHEAD*

Info you need to understand this post:
1. I live on a VERY busy road.
2. It is very dark out here at night, no street lights on this busy road.
3. We are on city/county lines and people have lots of livestock out here.

Ok, you are still reading so here is my rant/soapbox for the day. It all started last night. Justin and I went up to bed around 11:30 p.m. (I know, pretty late for a prego lady) and we were laying there talking when all of a sudden we hear a loud noise, what sounded like a hit of some kind. We both leap out of bed to see what in the world it was. We couldn't see too much because it was so dark, and the fact that I am blind without my glasses on. Then I see 2 horses moving across the street, next to a big black figure laying in the road. You got it a horse had been hit. I tell Justin what I saw and we both knew we were in for it. I believe we both said the words "Oh s#$&!" at the same time. I didn't know how talented I was when it came to multi-tasking, but I am good. I was throwing clothes on, running down the stairs and calling 911 all at the same time. Justin grabbed a flashlight and went out front. Yep, we were right. A big horse had been hit and was laying in the road, not quite dead yet. So as I am relaying this info to the dispatcher a truck is backing up. It was the truck that hit the horse. The 2 people inside were lucky they were in a truck because anyhting less than that and they probably would have been dead. See the speed limit on this road is 50 mph and it was a Clydesdale horse. Yeah thats pretty much like hitting a cement wall. It did a lot of damage to the truck so I can only imagine if it had been a car or if they had been going any faster.
So the police and sherriff show up, along with some punk kid in a car. On a side note, our neighbor has horses and cows who are ALWAYS getting out. We figured it was their horses so I tried calling their house only for them not to answer the phone. Turns out the punk kid knows the neighbors and so Justin tells him I can't get them on the phone, go over and knock on the door, which the punk kid does. The parents weren't home I guess cause one of their boys came over to deal with the situation. By this time the police had the road blocked off, thank goodness cause like I said in the info above, it is a BUSY road.
Anyway, to make a long story short, no one was hurt but they had to put the horse down. That was the worst thing I have ever heard/seen in my life. I won't give you all the details, but lets just say I can still hear the shot. They then get the kid's tractor to move it out off the road and the idiot barely hauls it into the field next door. Come to find out the cop told Justin that they have been out here multiple times to this residence because their livestock get out. It's not because thier livestock is super smart, it is because these people are super lazy and don't want to build a a decent fence. Trust me, they have the money, they just don't do anything completely and their idea of a fence is a couple of sticks and a strand of barbedwire. I am not even kidding on that. So they get everything cleaned up, the road sprayed off, and Justin and I trudge up to bed. Yeah, we didn't sleep much last night. The thing that really pisses me off is this didn't have to happen. If they would be responsible horse owners, build a decent fence, then this wouldn't have happened. No one would have been out there at midnight going through any of this and the horse would still be alive. It bothers me, Justin, the poor girl that was in the truck that hit it, even the cop told Justin he hates this part of his job. Move forward to 7:30 a.m. this morning. I am out driving through the storage units and see it laying there. Sad. I think , oh they will be out soon to take care of it. I go upstairs an hour later to get dressed and open the blinds in Jaxon's room, which happen to face that field, and nope, there it is still laying there. Jaxon loves to see the cows, but this morning when he asked to see them I told him they were in the barn eating breakfast. Yeah I forgot this kid is on a growth spurt and can apparently see out his window now. He asks me why the horse is laying there. I tell him he is hurt and that the farmer went to get him a band aid and that the horse is just resting. Yeah, quick thinking I know.
As I write this ranting post it is 9:50 a.m. and nothing has been done about the horse. I tell ya, if nothing is done with it in the next hour or two, I am going to have to remind them that it is still there and that they need to be responsible and have it taken care of. I usually try to keep my nose out of my neighbor's business, but seriously, this is rediculous!! It would be one thing if this was the first time this has happened, but come on, this is like the 7th or 8th time since we have lived here (just over 2 years) that their livestock gets out. So, there is my rant for the day...if you made it this far thanks for reading. I know it's not the most pleasant post, but I had to get it off my chest. Besides, I figured if I put it on here, then maybe when I see my neighbors next I might be more pleasant about the situation and not say something stupid.

4 Thoughts:

Misty said...

This makes me so, so sad! I hate people who are irresponsible and it's their poor animals that have to suffer! They should get a ticket for their animals being out -- if your dog gets loose and the cops find out, you get a ticket for that. A horse or cow is MUCH more dangerous! And they should also have to pay for the damage to the truck. What jerks! I'm sorry you had such a lousy night! :(

The Perry's said...

That is so sad. Do they give some sort of tickets for people that are dumb and let there life stock get out and wonder a round. Maybe they should also lower the speed limit on your road as well.

Krystal said...

Scary!! I agree, they should get a Heafty ticket if they haven't already AND they should have to pay for the truck to get fixed or to get a new one. Your road is so dark and it's nice and long so I'm sure people go faster than what's posted.. Ok I'm pretty positive people go faster..(Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything).
But, did they at least get the horse all cleaned up or is it still laying there?!

Rachel@ A Little Bit of Ray said...

That is just awful and sad. I'm sorry you have to be the one to deal w/ it.